On Monday, we talked about using Metra to visit Chicago. Here is a short video with more information about Metra:
What if you want to visit a different city? How will you get there? What will you do?
1. Visit https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/word-street/transport-and-travel-scene-1. (It's British English, so it will sound a little bit different!)
2. Watch the video.
3. Complete Task 1, Task 2, and Task 3.
If you could visit any city in the world, which city would you visit? Click "Comment" below to write your response.
Medicine labels have a lot of important information. Do you understand the information on your medicine labels?
A website called TV411 made a video lesson to help people read and understand their medicine labels.
1. Visit TV411 and watch the video:
2. Now try the activities! Read the information, then click "Begin Lesson" to start the activities:
Reading medicine labels is a lot of work, but very important in order to keep our families safe and healthy.
Past tense verbs can be challenging in English. It's important to practice as much as possible. Watch the video for some basic practice:
Want some more practice?
1. For easier practice, try the exercises here: https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verb-tenses_past_quiz.htm
2. For more challenging practice, try the exercises here:
3. For even MORE challenging practice, try the exercises here:
Keep working hard!
Do you like taking exams? Most people don't. Exams can be stressful if you don't study! Watch the video to see what can happen:
On March 1st, we will take the CASAS exam in class. We can't study for this exam, but we can practice.
1. Go to http://web-esl.com/ILA/ila83r.html.
2. Click on "Readings."
3. Read the stories, then answer the questions.
4. When you finish, try another section.
What are some things you can do to prepare for an exam? Share some ideas with your classmates.
Most people go to ESL classes because they want to have more opportunities in the USA. Usually, my students tell me they want a better job. We can use the Occupational Outlook Handbook to learn about different jobs in the USA.
Ready to try it? Here is what you need to do:
1. Decide on your "career of interest." This could be the job you have now, a job you had before, or a job you want in the future.
2. Go to https://www.bls.gov/ooh/.
3. In the "Search" box, type your career of interest.
4. Click the first link that comes up to see all the information!
Make sure to answer the questions on your Career of Interest handout so you can share with your classmates.
What do people wear in different countries? Watch the video for some ideas:
What do people wear in your country? Let's find out:
1. Go to to https://images.google.com/.
2. In the search box, type "Clothes in __________" with the name of your country.
3. Look at the pictures. Which pictures do you like?
4. In your notebook, write English descriptions for the clothes.
Share some of the pictures with a neighbor. What do you think about clothes around the world?